- chemo will be once weekly, probably at BCCH or maybe surrey (abby doesn't have pediatric oncologists). Yes her hair will likely fall out.
- eventually it will be once monthly, and then may be done in abby.
- she will need about 18 lumbar punctures (they sedate her for this). She'll have another one at the end of this week. And then weekly and then monthly and then every 3 months. I believe the biggest concern is that the leukemia will metastasize into her CSF, which would be very dangerous.
- she'll be on a bunch of other meds, which I don't know the names or purpose of yet.
September 30, 2008
Day 1
Leukemia
- Kill as many ALL cells as possible
- Get blood counts back to normal
- And to get rid of all signs of the disease for an extended period of time.
This is called a remission.Patients with ALL often have leukemic cells in the lining of the spinal cord and brain. The procedure used to check the spinal fluid for leukemic cells is called a spinal tap. The cells cannot always be found in an exam of the spinal fluid.
To prevent leukemia in the central nervous system (CNS) leukemia, all patients who are in remission have the lining of the spinal cord and brain treated. Parts of the body that aren't easily reached with chemotherapy given by mouth or IV - such as the lining of the spinal cord and brain - are treated by injection into the spinal fluid.
More treatment is needed even after a patient with ALL is in remission. This is called post-induction therapy. It is given in cycles for two to three years. Post-induction therapy is given because some ALL cells remain that are not found by common blood or marrow tests. For most people, the postremission therapy drugs used are not the same drugs used during induction therapy. The doctor considers many things to decide the kind of post-induction therapy a patient needs, such as:
- The patient's response to induction therapy.
- Whether the patient has certain chromosomal abnormalities.
19 comments:
I can't imagine what you must be going through!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Glenn, Evelyn, Joshua & Levi van Egdom
(((Hugs))) to all. Prayers lifted... wish I was there- will do whatever I can to help. Strength to you all... long road ahead for sure, but your positive attitude about this shows in Paige's ability to face this with the strength she has shown.
We are thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Paige sounds like a real little trouper.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Thanks for keeping us all up-to-date.
Cherrill, Kevin and Anneka
Grant and I are thinking of you all and hope that you will call us if you need someone to lean on. Our prayers are with you during this very hard time. We will see you soon. XOXO
Grant Danielle, Taiya & Emma
Janis, I can't imagine what you are experiencing right now. I will keep you and your daughter and family in my prayers. Paige sounds like she has a wonderful, fighting spirit! Take care of yourself and your family.
Erin Levesque (from work)
Love you guys! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. So glad to hear of Paige's great attitude.
Love Uncle Butch & Aunt Leanne
Please know that we are praying for Paige and your family. What a little trooper she is!
We love you!
Uncle Ron & Auntie Babe
So sorry to hear this news, I can't imagine all the emotions you all are experiencing. I will be praying for you all, especially that Paige will continue to be able to smile through it all.
Lyndene Janzen (Mat)
Janis,
We will be praying for Paige and your family. We trust that God is going to infuse you with strength as you go through this journey.
Love Mike Regan Ashton Mikenna and Colby
We are thinking of you all and sending prayers your way. Anything you need name it even if it is just a visit or meals to go. Call us.
We love you and are thinking about you guys, remember
" The eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms" - Duet. 33:27
I wish I could fly home and be with you and your family to support you while you are going through this - I couldn't even begin to imagine your thought process right now, but you are showing remarkable strength just with what/how you are writing. Know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers and we love you.
Jesse and I are thinking of all of you and saying our prayers for you and Paige. Please do not hesitate to call if you need ANYTHING... we are always here for you. We love all of you very much and we will see you soon.
Love, Tracy and Jesse
XOXO
I am and will continue to pray for your precious little girl and your entire family- so sorry to hear that you are going through this. May you find strength and comfort and peace through the Lord.
Janis, Todd and Paige: You are all in our prayers and I hope Paige begins to physically feel better really soon.
((hugs))
Andrea, Brent, Cole & Dylan
Thinking of you and praying for strength for the long road ahead!!!
Greta, Gary, Benjamin & Kyle
how amazing of you to explain this to paige in a way that she can understand and work with! if love can move mountains we will lift this weight from your family. may paige's positive atitude give you power and our love give you strength. love you much
uncle johnny and auntie tina
janis: just checked my work mail today. Blessings to you all. I'm praying God will give you peace and a real sense of His prescence as you walk this unbelievable journey.Love Alice VanDyke
Post a Comment