Things have been going well. Paige is back to her old self and enjoying this break from treatment. She hasn't had any more fevers, although she still has a nasty cough. She has so much energy! We've been visiting friends with kids and she's enjoying the socialization. I was a little disappointed that Paige wouldn't be able to attend preschool when she's feeling well. She's missing so much out of life! I just want her to experience as much as possible when she's feeling well. I'm a little upset that we couldn't find some way make it work, but it's all about the money. I could probably afford the $80 a month to hold her spot, but it just seems like a waste of money! She starts chemo again Dec. 1st so she may start feeling ill again. I thought I was handling the school thing pretty well, until we went to dance class today. I asked the owner what she wanted me to pay her. I said Paige may be able to come until January, but then would be absent for February and March. She said that Paige can't really miss those months because that's when they start working on their year end performance. She doesn't want Paige to get behind and then she'll feel bad when she can't dance like the rest of the class. Which I totally understand! She said Paige could continue to come when she's feeling well, till December, and I don't have to pay. Then in January she suggested we do a short session, the six week one's they have a couple of times a year. So I guess that's what we'll do.
I'm not upset with the preschool or dance studio. I think I'm upset that Paige has to miss out on all of these things on top of having to go through treatment for cancer. Honestly it's just not fair! She should have the opportunity to enrich her life whenever possible! It's very frustrating. But it's just a fact of life. I guess I wasn't really prepared for what this two years of treatment would mean! I thought about the commuting to children's and the side effects of treatment etc. But I never really considered how disruptive this would be for Paige's academic and social development. It's hard to because Paige's best friend Lily is in the same class, and I really wanted to keep them together. We saw another girl from Paige's preschool class at the studio today. Apparently there's a new Paige in the class, but she told her Mom she likes the other Paige better, and misses her! So sweet! It's been so hard for Paige to make friends, I'm sad that just when she started to blossom, she has to be excluded. She doesn't really know any different, but I know what she's missing out on.
So just another upset to get used to. I suppose I should get used to the idea that Paige having leukemia isn't just going to fit into our life easily. I'm glad that it's just preschool she's missing, and not kindergarten. But at the same time, if she was in public school she could go whenever she was feeling well. But I guess then she'd be more behind than she will from just missing preschool. So perhaps there is a silver lining to this cloud. At least she got in one year of preschool. I'm so glad that I didn't listen to Todd and started her with the plan of two years of preschool instead of the one. She wouldn't have gotten any!
Well I'm just gonna concentrate on the holidays. We're decorating the tree today. Paige is super excited about this christmas, and it's so nice to see her getting into the spirit of things! We've decorated her gingerbread house already, and I have to say she did a wonderful job!
No comments:
Post a Comment