Our appointment and BCCH yesterday went really well. We left the house at about 0620, and arrived there at 0810. Our appointment wasn't until 0900, but they started us anyways. They accessed Paige's VAD (pushed a needle through the skin, into the "sponge", that has a tube attached to it). Paige was "nervous", her words not mine, but she did really well. The numbing cream worked really well. She may tell you different, but she didn't even feel it going in. First they did her blood work, to make sure she had enough platelets before the LP. She went in for her biopsy and LP, and it only took about 20min. A resident did it this time, and for some reason I believe she did a better job than the last Dr.! Don't know why. Then they administered her IV chemo drug, which only takes about 5 min. Then we just waited for the sedation from her biopsy/LP to wear off. And then we were on our way at about 1130.
We go again on wednesday just for her IV chemo, which is when we'll get the results of her biopsy and know if they'll have to add another chemo drug. Her next biopsy is scheduled for the 27th.
Although Paige is challenging at times, I still can't believe how good she is. Honestly I would be a real brat if I had to go through all this stuff. She doesn't kick and scream when she goes for these procedures, it's truly amazing. It breaks my heart when she thanks me for silly things like letting her come with me on an errand, or buying her cheese sticks. It really hit me last night, that she just shouldn't have to go through this crap, she shouldn't have to be so co-operative. I talked to a few people in the waiting room. One little guy was diagnosed with an esophageal tumor at 4 mo. He spent the first year of his life on the ventilator, and therefore sedated, while they did chemo and radiation. So he's really developm
entally delayed. She said they've been treating him for 3 years now. She knows another kid that's been going through treatment for 8 years. It reminds me that we're not alone, and it could be much much worse!
I have to say I'll be happy when she's off the Dexamethasone though. She did sleep through the night last night. But she ate like a pig come morning. Two bowls of cheerios with milk, 4 bear paw cookies, and a full glass of strawberry milk. About an hour later, a cup of applesauce, and a cheese stick. Whew my tummy hurts just thinking about it. She is totally addicted to McD's, but she needs extra fat and calories, so I'm not worrying about it. She has the same thing every time! The dietitian warned me kids on Dex crave salty food. She said she's seen a 4 year old eat a pound of bacon. Well we didn't listen, and gave her some b
acon, and now she asks for it at every meal! Oh well, takes after her mom I guess.
She's kinda pooped today, and bit nauseous I think, so I'm keeping up on the gravol. She handed me a chunk of hair last night, only about 10 strands, but it's definitely starting to happen. I keep bringing up the fact her hair's going to fall out to get her used to the idea, and she's stopped complaining about it, so perhaps it's working.
I buzzed my hair with the clippers. I used the largest guide though so it's not extremely short. And dyed in black and pink again. I let Paige watch me buzz it, hoping she'll let me do hers when the time comes.
3 comments:
Sounds like you guys are still crazy busy.
You know the days go by so quickly, but we don't seem to be doing anything! We don't feel busy. We've had two visitors today and it's been nice.
Your awesome Jan!
Love Sharla
Post a Comment