Paige had her last bone marrow biopsy, yeah! So now she just has frequent LP's to make sure the cancer is staying out of her CNS. I'm allowed to stay in the room for those, so I'm really happy.
I was really stressed out over the SMH vs. BCCH thing. I just find that my mind can only handle so much at a time. I still think at least once a day, "is this really happening to us, to Paige?". Even though it is a somewhat longer drive I'm just so much more relaxed at children's. We saw a bunch of nurses we know today. And all the dr'.s in her biopsy we knew. I've developed a report with these people, and I'm just not ready to start again with a whole new set of staff. I guess with my depression I can only cope with so much. And these people are helping me cope. They put my mind at ease. And when we're there I can relax cause of feel like i know them, and can therefore trust them with my baby.
So we spoke with our primary nurse alison today and she mentioned that dr. davis (our oncologist) wanted to talk to us, and make things as least stressful as possible. I get the feeling I'm not the only person who has felt a little "stalked" by them. Exuberance is great! And I'm happy they love their job, but I don't like to feel like they're working on commission and need me to come to their program. Which is how I was feeling. Dr. Davis reassured me that I could continue to come to BCCH, and if later I decided I wanted to do some or all of paige's remaining treatment at SMH that would still be an option for me. I guess I'm somewhat attached because these people helped me navigate the shock and disbelief we went through when Paige was diagnosed. They're not perfect, they just happen to be the one's who were there. I guess I'm rambling because I still feel a little guilty about SMH, that they're going to think I didn't like them or something. Boy can I be crazy or what! I just couldn't handle having directions and routines to follow from two different places. It's hard enough to keep things straight without adding to it.
Paige's genetic studies came back: he said she's hyperlipoid? and has many double chromosomes? I had no idea what he was saying, but the important thing he said is it's a good sign, and she should be fine, the treatment should work. She doesn't have any of the resistant chromosomes that can be hard to fight. So her prognosis is excellent! We're back on the 3rd for her first of 3 LP's and then after that she starts intermaintenance. I'll probably post about the different stages once I have a chance to go through them. Before she starts each stage they have to make sure her counts have recovered.
Dr. Davis was surprised she still had so much hair. We definitely notice it thinning, but we're not finding a lot of hair on her pillow or anything. He said he believes it's a valley thing. He's had a fair amount of patients from the valley that didn't lose their hair like most do. Perhaps during the stage delayed intensification she might lose it since the meds are quite intense during that stage.
Thank you everyone who had purchased items form us to help us during this time off work! We really appreciate it. We have lots of silicone bracelets coming this week, plus pins, lanyards, and beaded bracelets. We also have t-shirts left, but no more size large. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. We love you!
2 comments:
Jan, I am so happy that Paige will be o.k. Its a long road and the going will be tough but she'll come out of it in the end! Thank God for that.
Love Sharla
hi guys. sounds like you have had quite a time the last few days. just keep on doing what FEELS right jan - it will be your best decision. take care of yourselves and keep your chin up sweeties. love you much, uncle johnny and auntie tina. xxx
Post a Comment