Today was rough. First thing in the morning we were told that Paige should have her surgery sometime in the afternoon. So she could only have clear fluids until 11am and then nothing until her surgery. She was not happy about this, especially since she didn't really eat anything for supper the night before. She doesn't like jello, and for some reason I couldn't get her to eat a popsicle, which is usually her favorite treat. Finally at 11:30 (shh, don't tell the nurses) I got her to drink some apple juice and eat half a popsicle. She got another platelet transfusion. Her plt's were 85 but they want them at 100 before surgery. As it turned out they were still infusing when the porter came to take her to the OR. The surgeon was supposed to come up and talk to us about our options etc etc. But this hadn't happened yet. But they had to take advantage of the OR spot. So they gave us the quick explanation down in pre-op. I had been told I could go in with paige and stay with her till she was asleep, but for some reason that changed. Paige wouldn't go to the anesthetist so she sedated her in the hallway in my arms, and then took her. It looked awful and for some reason I found this all very traumatic. I also think that since I need to "hold it together" when Paige is around, that when she was gone I just couldn't do it anymore. So I had a good cry, but it actually made me feel better.
She went in for surgery just before 4pm, and we had her back in her room at 5pm. It went well and she now has a VAD (venous access device) so she doesn't need pokes for blood work anymore. It's all making it much more real, seeing her walking around with the dressing on her tummy. I keep thinking, only sick kids need these! She has such a positive cute attitude! I was on the phone and didn't hear her say she had to pee, so she had an accident. She was quick to point out it was my fault, and now I would have to go to the Dr. for an arm squeeze (blood pressure), poke, and nose tickle (nose suction). We all had a good laugh that the "minor" surgery she had wasn't included in that list!
Most of our visitors saw Paige today. My parents unfortunately showed up just as Paige was going to the OR. But going for coffee with them was a much needed distraction. My cousin Andrew, his wife Andrea and their kids came just before we got Paige back from recovery. She wasn't at her best at this time, but I really appreciated the company. Todd received free Canucks tickets from the Child Life Specialist here, so he stayed until she was back in her room and then he was off for a night of fun. I've informed him that monday is my day! I'd like to head home for a shower and nap in my own house, and maybe a mani/pedi at Blush Salon. I think a little pampering will go a long way! My brother Kevin and Sister-in-law Rochelle came to visit with my nephew Graeme, and my nieces Vanessa and Hayley. Paige had recove
red by then and was her happy talkative self (I just don't know who she inherited this gift of gab from?). She insisted that everyone paint their nails with the new nail polish she received
from Andrew and his family. She didn't manage to convince Kevin and Graeme to take the plunge though. That nail polish was a life saver, it finally got her out of her post surgery funk! Thank you Loge's!
So now with her surgery done there's not much on our plate for the next few days. She has blood work every morning and evening. She takes oral meds around the same time. Sometime this weekend she gets her first monthly shot of "Peg", one of her chemo drugs.
So just to remind anyone planning to visit I might not be around on monday, but Todd will be here of course. Also I now have voice mail on my phone, so I won't miss any more calls!
Some info on her VAD:
Central venous access devices are small, flexible tubes placed in large veins for people who require frequent access to the bloodstream. A port is placed
completely below the skin. With a port, a raised disk
about the size of a quarter or half dollar is felt underneath the skin. Blood is drawn or medication is delivered by placing a tiny needle through the overlying skin into the port or reservoir.
5 comments:
Sorry to hear you had a rough day today, hopefully things will be better tomorrow! Enjoy your day monday, you absolutely deserve it. You are an amazing, strong woman, Paige is lucky to have you! XOXO Pam
whew - that was quite a day! well done! you're a pretty tough family. good that mom and dad arrived to distract you. i think that you and todd taking a little time for yourselves will help keep you all strong. good idea. we send a special hug to little paige and much love to you all.
uncle johnny and auntie tina
Hey Luv,
We 're thinking and praying for you and yours. Love you
Love Sharla and Family
I'm sorry yesterday was so tough - and I'm glad things will settle a little for you all over the weekend! What a trooper Paige is and you and Todd are doing amazingly well!! Jan - this blog is fantastic and even though we haven't been to visit - know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers constantly!!!
With lots of love coming your way!
Auntie Babe
You're very welcome you guys :) Glad to hear she is feeling better and it sounds like the surgery will save pain in the future so that is good.
Post a Comment